Are NYS health care providers intervening with their patients that smoke?
- 64% of New York State Smokers reported going to a healthcare professional in a 12 month period.
- 89% of these smokers were asked about their tobacco use.
- 55% were advised to quit.
- Overall, 51% of smokers in NYS were advised to quit smoking by a healthcare provider within a 12 month period of time.
- 56% of NY Smokers making a quit attempt said they tried because their doctor/dentist recommended it. (12 month time period)
- Smokers who received an advise statement from their healthcare provider were more likely to:
- make a quit attempt than those who did not receive this advice.
- have had a successful quit attempt lasting at least 6 months.
The Evidence in NYS is clear –
Your efforts make a difference!
Source: Smoking Cessation in New York State, June 2007
Prepared for New York State Department of Health