Market will follow strict COVID-19 protocols, continue accepting SNAP benefits
The Mobile Farmers Market makes its return Monday, June 8, with community-based stops in Franklin and Clinton counties.
A program of the Joint Council for Economic Opportunity (JCEO) and the North Country Healthy Heart Network, the Mobile Market provides access to fresh fruit and vegetables, baked goods and a salad bar at community-based stops in Franklin and Clinton counties. The market made its debut in 2018 and has since expanded its stops and offerings.
“It is perhaps more important now than ever to ensure that our communities have access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” said Richard Lavigne, JCEO’s food services director. “For those who are at higher risk for COVID-19 infection, bringing the market directly to their communities and helping to limit travel is essential.”
The Mobile Market will continue to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits and, new this year, will also let consumers use farmers market vouchers. Additionally, the market will include a Family Fun Challenge, a series of activities that encourage families to be creative and learn about local food programs. Learn more about the challenge: heartnetwork.org.
The schedule for Mobile Market Bus #1, which serves fresh veggies, baked goods, and a salad bar, is as follows:
- Mondays: Saranac Lake Adult Center, 10 a.m. to noon, Tupper Lake Adult Center, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Waverly Town Offices, 10 a.m. to noon, Malone Court House, noon to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays: UVM Alice Center Nursing Home, 10 11:15 a.m., UVM Alice Hyde Hospital, 11:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursdays: Citizen Advocates, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Malone Court House, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Fridays: Malone Chamber of Commerce, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Malone Social Services, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Mobile Market Bus #2 schedule is:
- Mondays: Churubusco/Summit Park, 10 a.m. to noon, Ellenburg Municipal Center, 12:15 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays: Westville Center, 10 a.m. to noon, Fort Covington/Rainbow Park, noon to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Trails of Malone, 10 a.m. to noon, Owls Head, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Thursdays: Catherine St. Housing, 10 11:15 a.m., Elm St. Housing, 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Sawyer St. Housing, 1 to 2 p.m.
- Fridays: Lyon Mountain, 10 a.m. to noon, Brainardsville, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
The Mobile Market schedule is subject to change. Visit heartnetwork.org for updates. For an interactive, online map of 2020 market stops, visit bit.ly/mobilemarket2020.
The Mobile Market is made possible with support from Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Cornell Cooperative Extension’s SHINE program, and the New York State Department of Health’s Creating Healthy Schools & Communities program.
For more information about JCEO, visit www.jceo.org.
For more information about the North Country Healthy Heart Network, visit www.heartnetwork.org.